Thursday, May 19, 2022

Happy Mothers Day

I had a very nice Mother's Day.  JJ didn't have any meetings that morning, so we were able to be home together and drive to church together.  It was nice to have help with getting everyone ready and out the door.  We had a nice church meeting and it's always so nice to enjoy a brunch during the second hour with all the women in the ward.  It was nice to be able to sit and visit with a few sisters who are normally in primary.  JJ worked with the kids to get some homemade cards and things for me.  I had specifically asked each kid to make me a card or write me a note.  Homemade thoughtful things from the kids are my favorite and all I really need.  I was so glad they all fulfilled my wish.  They each filled out a questionnaire about me and the things they like about me.  I learned that my kids actually know me pretty well.  They know my favorite drink is Dr. Pepper and water, my favorite show is "This is us" and I like to eat pizza.  I found it interesting that the kids were all impressed that I could waterski.  One of the questions was my mom smells like and Nolan said a popsicle.  We had a little chuckle about that, and he said it is because I smelled sweet.  JJ awarded me a trophy for "World's best mom 2022".  He is so cheesy but cute at the same time.  I had made a comment at Lucy's track meet when she got a medal that I thought that was so cool because I had never won a medal or an award before.  JJ was excited to be able to present me with my first award.  He didn't know that fact when he had ordered the trophy for me and thought it was perfect timing.  We had a relaxing day at home.  I enjoyed watching a movie and Lucy offered to take me for a drive in her car with the top down.  It was such a beautiful day and so fun to have her take me for a drive.  We enjoyed a nice dinner and some treats and then spent the evening playing some croquette in the yard.  It was a very nice day, and it was nice to feel celebrated.  I was thankful for so many friends reaching out and checking on me during the day.  They were so sweet to be sensitive to my first Mother's Day without my mom.  I really was ok all day.  I felt sad many weeks ago when I noticed Mother's Day things in the store.  It hit me that I would not need to purchase a Mother's Day card or gift this year.  It was strange to not go to my parents' house and celebrate together.  In a selfish way that was kind of nice, I had the day all to myself.  I didn't want to grieve on Mother's Day.  I almost didn't allow myself to go there.  I of course thought of my mom and love her so much.  My sister Lauren gave me a Mother's Day gift, a wooden tulip like the one my mom had sitting in her kitchen for as many years as I can remember.  It was the perfect gift.  Something to remind me of mom.  I still don't have anything of my mom's, but I have found that I can have things in my home that remind me of her and that can also be special.  This tulip is special, and I am so thankful that Lauren gave it to me.  She said she had the thought while in the temple and knew it would be the perfect thing to make for all of us.  I am jealous of Laurens spiritual gift of being able to communicate with my mom in the temple but thankful for things she shares with me.  She went to the temple before our walk yesterday.  She said mom visited her in the temple but not for very long.  She said mom was sad and wanted to be with us.  Lauren felt sad for mom but had the thought of the scripture that says, "Jesus wept".  Even Jesus gets sad.  Mom wanted to be with us and wanted to spend her Mother's Day with her children.  I also had the thought that on the flip side for the first time in many years that she was able to spend Mother's Day with her mom.  I hope mom knows how much we love her.  She should feel so proud of the wonderful mother she was to us.  I think of my siblings and where we all are in our lives.  She has a lot to be proud of, she did a great job.  I hope someday I can look at all my kids when they are grown and feel that something I did was right.                














 

No comments: