Monday, November 17, 2014

Grandma Rahm's 90th Birthday

Saturday afternoon we had my family over to celebrate Grandma's 90th birthday.  It was a cold and snowy day, perfect to sit inside and visit together.  We turned on our fireplace and it was nice and cozy.  I made pumpkin pie for her, her favorite.  She said she loves pumpkin pie because she feels like it is a little bit healthy.  She also said this is the season to eat pumpkin pie and drink hot cider.  I also made some cookies because there are a few people who don't like pie, including my kids.  We made hot chocolate and apple cider.  I also cut up some cheese and we ate that with some crackers.  We had a nice time sitting around together visiting and watching the snow fall outside.  We played a card game that was fun to play as a group.  We got her a few little presents, she always tells us that she doesn't need anything.  Our family got her some apple butter and a hand towel with a crocheted top to hang over her oven handle.  The kids helped me pick them out at the farmers market last weekend.  She loves apple butter and I figured you can always use a new hand towel.  She loved them both and said it has been years since she has had a hand towel like that.  It had a bright colorful pattern that she really liked too.  My parents got her some roses which they said she absolutely loved!  They helped her put them in a vase of water when they picked her up and she told them over and over how much she loved having them.  They also got her a new puzzle to do and some mixed nuts.  She opened the nuts and we all snacked on them.  I asked her what has been the biggest thing she has seen change over the past 90 years.  She said the biggest thing is the overall way of life, it has changed so much.  She has seen a lot change in the past 90 years and she said the biggest changes have really come in the past 10 years.  Life when she was growing up was so different and she commented that even when we are old things will have changed so much.  Things are always changing.  She told us stories about when they first got a telephone and how when she was first married they had an outhouse to use the bathroom.  She said people's homes now amaze her compared to the way she lived as a little girl and a newly married women.  Another huge change she said was the way we eat.  She said growing up unless they grew it they didn't eat it.  It is neat to be able to visit with her and hear stories about her life.  I am glad my kids know their great grandma and can learn from her and love her like I do.  It was a wonderful afternoon and it was so fun to have everyone over.  It almost felt like a holiday with the fire going and the snow falling outside.  Grandma said she had such a nice time.  She has been busy the whole month with visitors coming in town to take her out for her birthday.  We have been keeping her busy. 





1 comment:

The Sullengers said...

That's awesome your grandma is still alive! I miss mine and wished I'd taken more time to spend with them