Earlier this month I made a trip to Spokane, Washington. A few days prior, my sweet Grandmother, Elaine Lant, passed away at the age of 92. Her health had recently turned and we expected that she wouldn't be with us too much longer. She was born in 1920 in Southern Indiana and married her high school sweet heart, Norman Edward Lant, after he returned home from WWII. They moved around the country with my Granddad's work and had three sons, the second being my father. They finally settled in Northern Montana while my dad was in high school. As a kid I fondly remember visiting this white haired woman who expected my best manors or I would have heard other wise. She was the epitome of an old-fashioned lady, the men around her knew that she not only expected to be treated as a lady but very well deserved it too. I will forever cherish her influence on my life through those wonderful encounters as well as through the example of my father. I last saw here in 2010 when my family went to Spokane to celebrate her 90th birthday. This trip for her funeral was an emotional one, not only would I be missing her, but it would also stir up difficult feelings about my visit to Spokane in 2006 for my father's funeral. With all the emotions that came with it, it was a true celebration of her beautiful life and how much she impacted the lives of those she knew. As funerals can often do, it brought together many family members that I had not seen in too long of time. While there, we stayed up late each night visiting and determined that we, as a family, wanted to be closer. I know that's what Granny always wanted. I am grateful to have been able to go to be with my extended family and am so very grateful for my loving wife and children who were not able to come but supported me all the way.

Granny at her 90th Birthday Party in 2010
Dad, Granny, and I at my wedding reception in 2004
My cousin Michelle, her daughter Sarah and I at the Denver Airport. They were on their way back to Texas from Washington as I was on my way there. We had about 10 minutes to chat before their flight left. I had not seen her since my Granddad's funeral in 1987.
Uncle Mike and Uncle Jef at the service
Aunt Mary and my sister Rachel
My cousin Laura and I
My brother Nate, his third son Maxwell, and my cousin Laura
My nephews Lucas and Andrew
Ben (cousin), Me, Laura (cousin), Rachel (sister), Sam (cousin), and Nate (brother)
The cousins with Uncle Mike and Uncle Jef
Uncle Mike, Aunt Mary, Aunt Eileen, and Uncle Jef
The Sullenger's (Kash, Cara, Hudson, and Roxie). Friends from optometry school that live in Spokane
No comments:
Post a Comment