Saturday afternoon we headed to Oxford, MS to watch the BYU game down at Ole Miss. We have never been to Oxford and we still would like to go down and explore the city a little more. It is only about an hour and 15 minutes south of us. We were worried about the heat and humidity at the game. Especially since game time was 3:45, but thanks to tropical storm Lee we had great weather! BYU alumni was having a tailgating party so we stopped by to see what was going on. We ran into several friends there and a couple of familiar faces from my home ward in St. Louis. 
We stopped by to see the cheerleaders
They did a few cheers with Cosmo, mostly teaching a few you could join in on during the game.
Garrett and Lucy both enjoyed joining in the rah rah part of the fight song. JJ has been teaching them the cheer for a while and they are pretty good!
The kids were really excited to see Cosmo, they have been talking about meeting him for weeks!
After things were done there we walked around the tailgating that Ole Miss had going on. It was solid tents and just tons of fans. It was fun to see all the people. We ran into a good friend there and it was fun to catch up with him.
After that we grabbed something to eat really quick and headed to the stadium. Just in time for the national anthem and the jets to fly over. I am pretty sure Ole Miss fans were surprised to see how many BYU fans were there. We were scattered all over as well as the BYU section.
Garrett was so cute cheering on both teams. Any time anyone clapped or cheered he did too!
Here is the half time show. 
JJ and his friend Burke, JJ taught him in the MTC. He was in JJ's first district, while we were dating and got engaged. They have kept in touch and it has been fun to become friends with their family. They now live up in Ohio and he goes to optometry school up there. They stopped by our house Friday night to visit and have ice cream. To bad they didn't decide to come to school down here with us, it would have been fun to be closer to them.
The game was really exciting--well the last part was really exciting. It was a lot of fun to be there and we were really impressed with how nice all the Ole Miss fans were. They all thought we came from UT so it was interesting to them to hear where we all came from. At one point I could read a text message the man in front of us was sending (he was an ole miss fan) he said "I am sitting in the middle of a bunch of BYU fans and they came from everywhere!!" I was also so impressed with how dressed up all their fans were. We had heard that they get really dressed up for the games, derby style with the dresses and high heels. I was not sure I could be comfortable for a whole football game in something like that. I was glad to be wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It was fun to see them all dressed up for the game.
After the game was over we headed back to the car. We drove down with Lauren and Braden who got some tickets from a friend in the BYU section. We had a really fun time and I am glad we were all able to go. I know that JJ was so excited to go and see the cougars play. He has been looking forward to the game ever since they announced they were coming down here.
Lucy and Garrett got some BYU stickers for their face. I was surprised to see that they stayed on the whole game.
3 comments:
Sounds fun! I always wanted to go to an Ole Miss game just to see the outfits! Crazy that they dress up - I'm all about comfort!
the 'going groving' made the front page of the daily universe. awesome you guys went to the game! Rob's parents made the trip from OKC too. Michael loved seeing the pictures of you guys w/Cosmo.
AWESOME!!!
Post a Comment