Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Planning Ahead

This past Saturday I was able to attend our stake RS conference. The theme was "joy in the journey" and they had some good speakers and classes to attend. I picked 2 classes on cooking, 1 for snacks and 1 for meals--so I got to spend most of my morning sampling foods. I am always looking for new recipes that are healthy for my family. Especially snacks I think are more difficult because it is so easy to just grab some crackers. There were some fun ideas given in the class that I am excited to try. Anyone who knows our family knows that we try hard and enjoy eating healthy food--and they also know we love to spurge and enjoy not so healthy foods! You can come over on any Sunday and find us baking and splurging on our favorite treats. I have also learned that eating healthy takes a little preparation. If you don't prepare you will gravitate towards the foods that are easy and move convenient. So last night I spent some time preparing a few new recipes that I got from the snacking class.

This is Granola, she said her kids love to eat it as just a snack or prepare it on a breakfast parfait. That is how I ate it on my breakfast this morning and it was very delicious!!


Here is the recipe:

6 cups oats

1 cup wheat germ

1 cup all-bran cereal

1/3 C sesame seeds

1/3 cup flax-seed meal

1-2 cups nuts

1 cup coconut

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp vanilla

3/4 tsp salt

1 cup honey ( I used local to hopefully help in any way with our allergies)

3/4 cup canola oil (I used applesauce to make a little healthier)

3/4 cup water


In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients. Blend well. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, water, oil, honey, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Heat until hot but not boiling. Pour syrup over dry ingredients and spread in two prepared jelly-roll pans. Bake at 300 degrees for 25-30 minutes or longer for a crunchier texture. Cool and add dried fruit if desired.


Makes about 16 cups. I figured a serving size was about 1/2 C and it is worth about 5 WW points +


One of the other ones I wanted to try was these peanut butter balls. You can freeze them, which I love. They are not the absolute healthiest thing you can eat but I figure compared to a handful of crackers it isn't that bad, plus I am all for adding some variety and a little protein.


1 Cup graham cracker crumbs

1 cup nonfat dry milk

1 cup corn syrup (see I told you it wasn't the healthiest recipe, if anyone knows of a good substitute for this let me know!)

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup currants of raisins


Place all ingredients in a large bowl (or food processor) and mix. Batter will be very stiff, form into small balls.


Makes about 30, 3 WW points + (just as much as my home made peanut butter cookies, but these have raisins)


Garrett loves these and was excited to have something new, Lucy didn't like them. She doesn't like raisins. Oh well. At least my child who wants to eat non-stop enjoys something new, you can't please them all!


I have to say that it is fun to have some new things to try, so feel free to leave me a comment with something your family loves to eat for snack or dinner. I would love to hear what your kids enjoy! One thing I loved from the dinner class was a quote she had on the board " There is no magic formula to cooking on a budget. Like anything else worthwhile in life, it takes a little planning, creativity and work. But if you think of the reward-better healthy and move money, you'll find it's worth the effort" I was thinking how true the quote is as I was cooking and baking away last night, also grilling up chicken for my lunches this week. I do find it worth the effort to know that I am trying to privde healthy options for my family and I enjoy knowing that I made these foods and know exactly what is in them.

6 comments:

Lexi said...

Thanks for posting this Heather! I'm just starting on trying to get my family to eat healthier and I feel so overwhelmed. I just don't know what to make sometimes or I'm too tired to put in much effort. That quote was great that you shared. It's so worth it to plan ahead and cook good things for our families. Wish me luck! I'm totally using these recipes for snack time.

Oh, and you wanted to know what other people have for snacks. One snack we usually have is cut up grapes or apple slices with a handful of goldfish crackers and a string cheese. Then he washes it down with milk or applejuice.

Brittany H said...

Looks fun! As for corn syrup - the other day I had a recipe with it and I used honey instead. It worked really well! It was a little bit softer, but I liked the flavor better. You might have to use a little bit less, but it will work.
I'm going to have to try some of your recipes. They look so yummy!!

The Sullengers said...

Good for you! Healthy is definitely harder sometimes! Our go to favorite summer snack is smoothies (but I already told you that tonight) just 1 cup plain yogurt, a banana, and a 1/2 cup or so frozen rasp or strawberries or peaches (whatever fruit you want) - little bit of ice - just blend and Hudson and I love it!

AJ said...

I was going to suggest honey for the corn syrup too. I think I have had a recipe like that before and it used honey. Both recipes sound yummy!

Debbie Lawrence said...

Yum! I am going to have to try those! Especially the peanut butter ones...I am a sucker for peanut butter. :)

Air popped popcorn is a really good snack. We spray a little of the "we can't believe its not butter" spray on it and a tinch of salt and we love it. I'm still undecided if popcorn even really has any nutritional value, but its better than processed foods I guess. :)

Rob and Marseille said...

i still think you should post your menu :)