Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Field Trip With Lucy

Today I was able to go with Lucy's class on a field trip to the Lichterman Nature Center. We took her friend Caroline with us, since we swapped back when they went to the Children's Museum. It worked out great since her mom just had a baby. We also left Garrett with some friends so I could enjoy the time with Lucy and Caroline and be able to help out with the activities. I thought about taking Garrett but when the letter said it was a 1 hour guided tour I wasn't so sure how he would do with that. After seeing how things went I am glad we didn't bring him with us, he would have just wanted to run around. We started out inside and meet our tour guide Dory--like the fish on Nemo. We took some times to look at the things inside on our own and then split into 2 groups. We were put into the first group so we took our tour with Dory first.
Lucy was excited to see the bear and be able to feel what his fur feels like.

We talked a lot about the 5 senses and different habitats. We started our tour out on the lake and talked about this type of habitat and the type of animals that live there. We learned about the fish and how they know when food is coming.
Each child got a little bit of fish food and they were able to feed the fish, they were hungry!


We then moved to the pavilion and did activities for each of the 5 senses. They looked at each others tongues and then looked through little looking glasses to see what it is like for bugs to see. They also got to feel several different things from nature to see what each one felt like. They then had little shakers and they had different sounds, you had to find all the people that had shakers that sounded like yours, find your family.


We then meet up with the other group to meet a few animals. We talked about how they all live in different habitats and use camouflage to survive and find food. Here is Dory showing them a frog.
Then she showed us a snake! The kids gave her a good reaction when she got it out of the box. We learned about the snake and how they unlock their jaws to eat. Then if you wanted to touch the snake you could hold up your 2 fingers. Lucy and I both touched the snake!
The last animal she had was a rabbit. We learned about how the rabbit has big ears to help them hear and how they jump with their long legs. Each of the kids were able to touch the rabbit as well.
We then washed our hands and switched groups. We looked around little bit more in that building and saw the other animals in there. They also had a viewing area for a small pond where we saw some fish. It was then time to head back, eat lunch and get Garrett. We had a fun time and Lucy and Caroline both seemed to learn a lot. Lucy said her favorite part of the field trip was touching the snake and doing the 5 senses in the pavilion.

I am so glad I was able to go with the girls today. I love to watch Lucy interact with her class mates and watch her learn. She is so affectionate with her friends and loves to hold their hands and rub their backs. She is such a sweet heart. I had a huge "I love Lucy" moment while watching her and just had such a strong sense of gratitude knowing that she is mine! I am grateful to be able to do fun things with her. It was also nice to meet some other Mom's that were there and fun to hear that their kids talk about Lucy and enjoy being her friend. What a fun field trip and a fun time we had together.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Wow - they really have a good little program it looks like! Thanks so much again for taking Caroline - she had a great time.